The Goal of the Alfalfa Fire Districts burn policy is to support the need of the community to do open outdoor burning and to assist everyone in safe burning.
Types of outdoor burning:
- Recreational fires/campfires- No permit needed-ALLOWED
- Burn barrels- No permit needed-ALLOWED
- Debris piles- CLOSED
- Field/ditch-CLOSED. Please let the AFD know if you are going do this type of burning. We can help you with a burn plan.
- Agricultural ( cereal grain residue or grass seed) This type of burn needs a permit from the Oregon Department of Agriculture.
Guidelines for open outdoor burning:
- Please check the AFD website prior to burning to confirm that outdoor burning is allowed based on fire danger and air quality.
- Outdoor debris pile burning is not allowed during fire season- usually June to mid October.
- Recreational fires such as backyard camp fires are allowed during fire season. The exception is when fire danger is extreme and ALL outdoor burning is prohibited.
- You are always responsible for your burn.
- The AFD Fire Chief and Firefighters have the authority to stop any burn they deem a fire hazard.
- Please see our “Burn Recommendations” page for tips on burning.
- Your burn must not be a nuisance to your neighbors.
- If you plan a large debris pile burn please contact the Fire Chief by phone (541 280 7362) or by email- firstname.lastname@example.org so that we are aware of the burn and can possibly schedule a fire engine to standby if needed.
The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) NEVER allows the following materials to burned:
plastic, tires, garbage, tires, dead animals, petroleum products, industrial waste
Please go the DEQ website for more info:
DEQ fact sheet:
Important Phone Numbers:
Ron Thompson, Fire Chief 541-280-7362
DEQ- Bend office 541-388-6146
Do not hesitate to call 911 if your burn gets out of control