Carbon Monoxide Safety

 

Carbon monoxide (CO) is sometimes called the “silent killer” because it is a colorless, odorless poisonous gas. CO is produced anytime combustion occurs and must be vented outside. Things that produce CO:
  • gas heaters
  • furnaces
  • water heaters
  • wood burning stoves
  • gas clothes dryers
  • stoves/ovens
  • generators
  • vehicles
  • fire places
Here are some tips to prevent a build up of CO in your home:
  • Check all appliance vent pipes at least once a year to ensure proper venting. Look for dislodged tubing and blocked vents
  • Heavy snowfall can block vents
  • Do not idle vehicles inside garages
  • Operate generators in well ventilated areas
Signs and symptoms of CO poisoning:
  • Headache
  • Nausea
  • Dizziness
  • Drowsiness
  • Confusion
To detect CO in your home you must have a CO detector in your home.
They are battery operated, simple to install and can be purchased at any home improvement store.
If your believe you have a build up of CO in your home:
  • Ventilate your home by opening windows and doors
  • Have everyone go outside to allow for ventilation
  • Shut off possible sources of CO
  • Contact your gas provider to check your appliances
  • Call 911 if anyone is showing signs of CO poisoning

CO information sheets:

cosafety2

co_safety_3flyer