Fire prevention is the best way to reduce the likelihood of a fire in your home.
Things YOU can do to prevent a fire:
- Keep combustibles away from all heat sources such as water heaters and space heaters
- Clean build up of lint in your clothes dryer
- Do not overload electrical outlets
- Keep flammable liquids such as gasoline stored properly and away from all heat sources
- Have your chimney cleaned and inspected every year
- Do not leave cooking food unattended
It is important to be prepared in case you do have a fire.
- Have working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to alert everyone of a fire
- Have fire extinguishers or garden hose ready for small fires
- Home exit plan- what to do and how to get out of house if a fire occurs. Discuss and practice this plan
- Have an outside meeting place- a location outside the home that everyone will meet at in case of a fire. This will allow you to know if everyone is out of the house
- Do not re-enter the house after you have exited
Remember to always call 911 if you have a fire…even if it is small and you think you have it extinguished.
For more information please go this Oregon State Fire Marshal link: